Friday 13 August 2010

Yana-sensei’s blog 13/08/10

Disclaimer: This is my personal attempt at translating Yana Toboso’s blog entries. Due to my limited skills and understanding, the translation might not be very accurate. In fact it can be plain incorrect at times. So read at your own risk. You’re welcome to correct me if I'm wrong and any input will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

***********************************
耽溺+追記
The original entry can be found here.
***********************************

Even if “he” presented you with infinite sweets, do not indulge in “him”.
Because unlike humans “he” is a beast.
“Let the time stop, you are forever beautiful.”

いかに”彼”が甘い砂糖菓子を無限に与えてくれたとしても、”彼”に耽溺してはいけない。
"彼"は、ヒトとは違う獣なのだから。
「時よ止まれ、お前は永遠に美しい」

------------------

Today is Friday the 13th.
To have episode 7 air today it’s almost like fate.
I think this is probably the most “devilish episode” in KSII
It elaborates on the Black Butler’s “Black” element instead of “Butler”.
Both Sebastian and Claude are demons who just want to eat meals despite their gentle demeanour as butlers.
Self-serving and hopelessly cruel Demons.
Of course people can be like that too, but they do so with absolutely no hesitation that’s what makes them demons.
Sebastian and Claude are the same.
But just like humans, there are differences between individuals in principles among demons too…
It’s the same either way, Alois and Ciel are the same too.
Both of them are egocentric spoiled humans who obtained supernatural power and use the power to serve their own interests.
Neither of them is “pitiful” or “good”.
But among them I think this episode is the most pronounced in terms of the contrast between Alois and Ciel's distinct behaviours and attitudes towards demons.
Indulgence and rejection.

Everyone in MBS region please support the series!
It’s tonight for TBS region! By all means please watch it in real-time.

The plot is going down a dark path from this point forward. The trend can make it hard to keep on posting those squealing-giggling sketches in celebration of 10,000 followers.
If it becomes too much I’ll put them aside. w

P.S.

By the way, I have received the anime magazines today!!!
I’m glad to see lots of news and articles on all of them.
I see Harada-san, the storyboard and animator of the first OP, did a lot of drawings *tickle*. I like the hands and graceful poses Harada-san draws!

(Source: Black Asylum Scanned by spacecat)

Animedia’s kana reading “kira men” on kanji “輝男” left me speechless.
[I think the point is, pronounce the kanji “輝kagayaku” as kana “きらきらkirakira”, and “男otoko” as English word men, so “kagayaku-otoko” becomes “kira-men” and still mean the same thing, shinning sparkling men]
It’s like LEON’s “艶雄” (ade-osu) and “艶女” (ade-jo) (lol)

(Source: Black Asylum Scanned by spacecat)

Animage’s “Ladies, Do you know?” style reports once again are interesting!
Okada-san’s interview is rather interesting too.
From Claude’s point of view, Sebastian is a “hentai”? Oh well, I’m not going to deny it. (lol)
Personally I consider Sebastian an eccentric demon, and a demon of leisure maybe. Ha!
Hmm, when a leisured person takes up an excessively demanding job doing all sorts of trivial or awesome things, such person is called “hentai”?
The anime story has taken on the flavours of Ciel’s soul, so I wonder how Ciel’s soul tastes like in the manga?
Still bitter and pungent, doesn’t taste good I guess in comparison to anime Ciel.
After all, does the soul even have flavours? (lol)
This stuff is about 25g it seems. (people weigh 25g less after death)

Such being the case, please buy them if you come across the magazines in bookshops.

Below are some thoughts while watching KSII regarding the flavours of souls.

Personally I think when talking about “a soul’s worth (flavour)”, it’s not the value of the soul itself, but the value being put on it by whoever’s going to eat it.
The same goes to humans.
Some people say McDonald’s is the no.1 junk food while many others consider it a treat.

As I already said on twitter, the soul in a way is just like box lunch.
Perhaps everyone is the same as a convenience store lunch to start with.
Those you can buy for 500 yen and just food enough to keep you alive.
Then one day you get tired of eating those and start thinking about cooking yourself.
So you go out and buy a lunchbox you like, some cookware you need, all the necessary ingredients and start preparing the bento.
Takoyaki wiener and hamburger and tamagoyaki, fill the bento with all the stuff you want to eat.
I think this is what Sebastian is doing, so to speak, while raising Ciel.
Sebas said “I’m tired of swallowing whatever comes along”, so to him convenience store bento is filling but boring. I think he’s the type who would start thinking about preparing food himself.
Since he has a lot of time thanks to his long life span.
Also when it comes to Sebastian, the ingredients must be organic! And the salt must be from such and such a place! Plus all sorts of weird obsessions. (lol)
Then wait until he is very hungry, in a place with a great view, he’ll open the box and eat.
Must be very delicious.
But in fact from others’ point of view, it might not be that good.
The value of the “meal” is decided by the person who’s going to eat it.
I think the soul is something like that.
Convenience store bento, or multi-tiered bento, but sometimes you want to eat cheap convenience store bento too. w
So is Ciel indeed a luxury multi-tiered bento, or heavily seasoned bento without substance. Only Sebastian can tell.
In the manga, William looked at Ciel and said something like “it’s nothing special”.

All in all, bento made from frozen food, bread from convenience store, rice with pickles only, all of these are filling as food.
I think most demons belong to this category, a group of hopeless guys. (lol)
But Sebastian deviates from them, so from Claude’s point of view, Sebastian is a “hentai [hentai as in abnormal]”, and from William’s point of view, Sebastian is a leisured person. [Because William has to work overtime while Sebastian has time to cook._-;;;]

I accepted an interview together with Okada-san the other day. That was a good opportunity to discuss the topic of demons, but the interviewer said “huh, Kuroshitsuji’s demon, it’s like this right...” that made me feel dumb. (lol)
We will publish materials explaining the demon concept in Kuroshitsji one day, so let’s wait until then.

I’m not digging too deep into the topic of demons, I have not discussed the existence of demons so far, and I have no intention to do so in the future either. So it can be quite a precious piece if it’s used.

Generally speaking, there are many theories around, such as fallen angels, or demons are born from tree branches…but I never said anything like Sebastian’s true form is this!
Though I did say “like this perhaps” out of habit. (lol)
I think whatever is fine. It’s not related to the main story so it’s left blank.

Sebastian is Sebastian. Akuma de shitsuji.
The essential of Sebastian in manga Kuroshitsuji, I think it’s as simple as that.

3 comments:

  1. So Alois’ fate is sealed. If Alois died at age 14 then he’s forever 14 and he’s forever beautiful. “He” obviously refers to Claude, but I think can be referring to Sebastian too. Alois indulged in his demon so he’s tossed aside like trash once Claude discovered a better bento. Ciel rejects his demon, so both demons are fighting over boxchan now. I think that’s the drift.

    Personally I must admit this post is indeed enlightening. But a small part of me finds it disturbing as well. I mean I will never be able to look at Sebastian in the same light ever again. Oh well, he’s a demon, and he's a demon who loves to play with his food. I guess healthy eating has become part of Sebastian's aesthetics too. Still trying to picture Sebastian putting Ciel on a chopping board and start preparing his bento.@-@

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh man, Ciel rejecting Sebastian would hurt me so badly, not because Sebastian doesn't' deserve to be rejected, but because of the little hints here and there that, despite his best efforts, Ciel has become somewhat emotionally attached to Sebastian. The last thing I would wish is more pain on Ciel; he's already gone through so much, and I think that being betrayed by the one person who wasn't supposed to betray him will be his undoing.

    But I loved all of the cooking metaphors in this! What a great way to explain how Sebastian differs from other demons. It never occurred to me that Sebastian would not give up his tasty food in the end, though I have to admit, that would make my year. I'm so attached to Ciel because he is the one having all of the character development, but if there was ever proof that Sebastian has changed because of Ciel personally and not just the taste of his soul, I would rejoice! Thanks again for the translation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for all your work on here! It is much appreciated!

    Box-chan, Tanaka in a box, the soul in a tea box. Now lunch boxes. xD
    As long as Ciel doesn't end up in a casket (again), that's fine by me ^.^

    This article made me put off my pink fangirl-glasses. v.v A part of me still hopes that Sebastian is growing more attached to Ciel than on the "num num, my next dinner" level, though.

    The ambiguity and development of the Seb-Ciel relationship is really what the series strives on. I'll be sad if/when that secret is truly lifted, no matter which turn it takes.
    In the end, though, I think that Ciel, just like he said, wouldn't be himself without his mission and at the moment I can't see a credible new task that could take the place of his revenge. So it looks as if Sebastian's decision doesn't matter that much in the end because there is no future for the Ciel we know and love, either way.

    roecla

    ReplyDelete